Sunday, June 9, 2013

Making the change together : Helpful web sources

I have been a vegan/vegetarian for almost 3 years, and I say veg/vegetarian because I started out as a vegetarian. I knew what kinds of things happened behind the meat industry and then started learning about the egg, milk (Dairy), and other animal products. This is why I made the transition to become a vegan. I was lucky to take a class at SDSU called environmental ethics, where there was a ch
apter that talked about animal rights (not animal welfare). The difference between these two terms, is that animal rights doesn't believe in using animals as means for humans, whether food, clothing, experimentation
on or entertainment. Animal welfare looks for a more humane to continue practices where animals are still being used for food, clothing, experimentation or entertainment. So, I definitely do not support animal welfare. Going back to the subject of animal rights, aside from the health aspects, I agree animals have an intrinsic value, which means that they are valuable beings and their lives should be respected in the same way we respect human life and rights. This intrinsic value helps create that connection from the way we are used to seeing animals and the way we should start seeing them.

The transition from eating meat to a vegetarian diet is not hard at all. If you have a well balanced diet, which is consuming a reasonable amount of veggies,whole grains, legumes, fruits, water, you are definitely within the range of protein, vitamins, calcium, potassium and fiber.

You can obtain the omega3 from flaxseed, chia seeds. I would recommend to stay away from fish. There is no benefit whatsoever if you decide to leave poultry and red meat but still eat fish. It is known that mercury content in fish is becoming a significant health threat. So leaving out red meat to avoid the risk of hypertension of heart disease but still eat fish, you would just get intoxicated wish could be even worse for the offspring. So please consider leaving fish out of your diet.

I will leave some good websites to get your vegetarian/vegan recipes. Remember the transition will be just as hard as you want to make it. I have not gone back to eating meat because I have informed myself and I am convinced that a plant-based diet is beneficial in so many ways.




I will be sharing vegan dishes and show you step by step how to prepare them. You will learn that being a vegan is the simplest, healthiest, and most compassionate way of living.

WEB RESOURCES

for recipes visit:  http://www.chooseveg.com/
                         https://www.facebook.com/Vegan.Recipes.are.Yummly?fref=ts

making a smooth transition: http://www.tryveg.com/cfi/toc/?v=06making
Info on how to live a healthy vegan lifestyle: http://veganhealth.org/
ultimate restaurant and shopping guide for vegetarians ( includes every region around the world!) http://www.vegguide.org

No comments:

Post a Comment